Thursday, October 11, 2018

2D Visual Development Character and Scene - SciFan Prometheus

Reference: https://www.pinterest.com/PrismGhost/musa-the-golden/

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=moebius%20floating%20city&rs=typed&term_meta[]=moebius%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=floating%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=city%7Ctyped





Creating a more robust and Sci-fantasy aesthetic for a world has always been a goal of mine in a design project, and Moebius continues to be a great inspiration for art in that vein.  Prometheus is a bit of an odd character to adapt in many ways because he's generally depicted either nude or in a pretty simple robe, but since I wanted to push the other-worldly and ethereal aspects of the Titans and Gods I think my Prometheus will start a bit more regal. 






I'll likely end up simplifying the design as I go forward, but Moebius had a habit of giving large complex articles of clothing with elaborate linework alongside gradient blocks of color.  I'll likely end up reducing the detail around the legs and belt area, leaving the greatest area of detail around her chest and arms.  Creating a detached exterior that is alien to the new life our prometheus surrogate brings light and technology to.



I figure I couldn't do a more fitting subject for thematic and shape exploration than the iconic scene of Prometheus enduring his punishment.  For this I'm doing a bit of changing to the original myth to make it a little more thematically relevant to the character and the irony of her punishment at the hands of the new gods.  She is chained by the unbreakable metal of her own making and the rock is replaced with a crystal which stores the sun's energy, where the titan Prometheus gets fire from to give to humans.  Plot-wise I still have a bit to work out, but since I'm specializing I'll have more time to put into working on this and my 3D with less time split between all the balls I have to keep in the air.




No comments:

Post a Comment