Thursday, November 29, 2018

Substance Crystals


This week's round of 2D assets was mainly visual effects stuff but since our tech artist is here and we don't have enough time to get into a really serious 3d sculpt I decided to get into Substance Texturing.  Truth be told I'm not a very experienced Substance user, and I was hoping to take this opportunity to get a bit more advanced with the things you can do with stuff like Curvature mapping.  Jackson sent me a really great Marmoset Toolbag tutorial to get refraction and a bunch of neat effects but unfortunately I'm not a proficient enough Substance user yet to really get to where he got so much of the night was spent googling and experimenting.

To start I added a simple fill layer with about the color I was hoping to have in the center of the crystal.

 Next was to add some shine to the crystal to try to sell that polished surface
Next a gradient to give the tips of the crystals some pop and set a darker color to the tops of the crystals so they'd be more homogynous at the ceiling.
 Adding a bit of edge lighting was the next step.  I got this subtle effect by adding a curvature bitmap mask to a pink fill layer. This emphasized the edges of the crystal without me having to manually paint them in.  It's still a bit clunky for my tastes but on larger projects like a crystal ceiling pieces with individual crystals it would be very efficient.
Finally I added an emissive channel and 3D gradient to the bottom of the crystal so that it could be toned down and used to create a glow effect in the scene once ported to unreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment