Sunday, June 23, 2019

Excalibur and Shield High Poly



So, I'm generally pretty happy with how Excalibur turned out, but I think I focused too hard on the sword and left the shield for the last minute (tonight) and have been kicking myself as I've started to feel out where I would want to take the sculpt in the process of sculpting it.  The reference for the "shield" is pretty loose, but I realized more and more what I wanted to do with it the closer it got to midnight the day it was due.  I took some time to look at jellyfish and squid arms to get some inspiration for the shape of some of the detailing on the shield.  It's MUCH too loose for me to feel comfortable calling it close to finished, I spent way too much time (at least 6 hours) trying to figure out some smart way to do the hair in segments, but I realized I was following the extremely loose linework of the "shield" too literally, and it would have been more productive to look at the lady of the lake concept the Wang drew and find the detail in the sculpt that way.  I'm also just realizing now there's supposed to be a roping pattern at the edge of the face of the shield, but that can be added with an IMM brush so I can fix that.  Regardless, I wish I had given the shield more time and just gone at it with sculpting rather than trying to do some dumb masking "time saving", though I am pretty happy with the sword.








No comments:

Post a Comment